Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Random" Conversation in a Check-Out Line with a Guy About His Dying Mother

As I stood in line to get gas the other day, the man in front of me had a conversation with the cash register clerk.

Clerk: I haven't seen your mother.  How is she doing?
Man: She was released from the hospice.  She used to buy beer from here.
Clerk: The hospital?  Yeah, I haven't seen her in a while.
Man: A hospice.  She has liver failure.  She was sent home to die.
Clerk: ....
Man: buying some beer
Me: I'm sorry to hear about it.
Man: Thank you.
Me: I'll pray for her.
Man: I appreciate that, sir.
Me: Be strong for her.

He walks out and I give the clerk some cash for gas.

I had to muster up some strength.  I understood, in part, the horror that this man felt.  I made it a point to talk about prayer, even though he was a complete stranger.  I thought of evangelization in the public.

The clerk didn't know what to say.  She was just a regular customer for him.  But for me, she was a redeemed soul for Jesus Christ.

This moment reminded me what life was all about.

Class dismissed.

A.M.D.G.

I continued to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy with the intention of this dying woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment