Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Thought from St. Francis de Sales

I know I'm a day late.  Today's actually the Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul.

I just wanted to note one thought that has been on my mind about the writings of the "gentleman saint".

He talks about God using a chisel to mold a piece of art.  St. Francis de Sales noted that sometimes it really hurts when God has to use a hammer to chisel away something hard in the spiritual life.  Other times, God isn't so hard and is more delicate.

In times when it is hard and painful it is so, he continues, because of pride and hardness of heart.  Well, I don't think he used those exact words, but the idea is the same.  It is hard for God to chisel away something because of the hardness of our sins.  It would be easier for Him to mold us if we just let him and not resist the Divine Artist.

Class dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment