Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ode to the Music Blog That Never Was: R.I.P.

Well, dear class, I can't say "good morning" today.

I have to express a moment of sadness but am impelled to transform it into a teaching moment of joy.

R.I.P. to the song that never was posted.
 


Here lay a potentially great song I wanted to use as a backdrop song of a YouTube video I wanna make for you after I, uh, learn how to create something on YouTube.

The song just kept playing over and over in my mind the past week and it inspired me to create new things.

But, dopey ol'me, I didn't catch some of the words in the lyrics which is rule number one when endorsing a song.  As I looked up the lyrics, my heart sank.

I was thankful that I didn't promote it in any way, shape or form.

Sure, it had a really, really awesome beat, but I simply couldn't endorse it.  The words were absolutely perfect with what I wanted to do....until....

...it started to cuss a couple of times and then...

...like the old one-two-knock-out punch...

...like Manny Pacquiao's left hook...

...it spoke questionably of God.

That was the death blow.


To cut to the chase, it spoke of how we were God.  Sure, this could be interpreted that we are in God's image (imago Dei) or that we have to be like Him through His Son.

Or that we too create our own destiny by ourselves.  That's secular humanism.

Sure, we're divinized in Christ's Incarnation, as the Catechism tells us is one of the four reasons for the Incarnation. 

But I don't think that was the song's intent. 

I just couldn't move forward given context of the words which could be construed to secular humanism.

We are not God.  God has a plan for us.  Our task is to discern this will.

This moment also reminds me of Bl. John Paul the Great's Letter to Artists (1999).

So as I lay to rest this great song that never was.

And I continue my search for another song.

Farewell, awesome song with a great beat.

Farewell.


Dismissed.







No comments:

Post a Comment